sorry for the lack of updates but a lot has happened
As you know I was driving and sudenly the engine lost all power and when I try to started, it sounded awefull. Given that it wasnt to get better by itself, we got to work.
loosing all the clips that hold the wiring.
I had already removed the downpipe to remove the oil pan to have a look inside, so I just removed the exahust manifold.
a little while later the A/C and alternator are out of the way
fighting with the PS Pump
a fight that the wrench wasnt able to handle
after that the last of mi friend arrived and moments after that we where lifting the head
removing the timing belt
removing the camshaft
the oil crust on allover the head was awful
with a little of love..
we had to asambly it again in order to remove it correctly
out with the camshafts
and with everything loose we proceed to remove the head
and away it goes
no... a hidden screw was still there
lets try again
now its free
away from the motor that stood by her for 19 years
and its gone...
an engine powered by plutonium!
and what do you do when you dont have an engine lift?
you conveince your friends that is a great idea to remove it by hand
this character had ingested something strange (coffee)
a little push/pull and the engine was away and on the grass
but good overall
checking that everything was in good condition and it was truly great
checking that we didnt miss anything
putting everything where it belongs
you have to enjoy it
one last check and away we go
another little push and done
nice photo of the camshafts caps
we opend and what do we find?
nothing good at all
and you have to belive on my word that the rod bearings where useles because the photograper was kinda slow and didnt register.
Now we have a temporal jump, a few days come by and a friend of mine brought my fathers truck (00' 4Runner), we loaded everything on it and of we went to my parents house (60miles away) because over there I have more tools and space to work on the engine.
It was a saturday morning
a while later this was it
all properly arranged
home made tool to remove the valve locks
the tool at work
a while later...
and was coming from the head
the head was getting better
the remains of the exhaust valve seals
so the head needed a cleanup
and one by one all the valves
untill all of them looked great
the same with the head
and something like this was the result of 10 hours of work
after that I dismantle the head and cleaned all inside, luckly it was great inside
this was the bottom of the oil pan, I lost how many times I cleaned the oilpan but after all the cleaning you were able to eat inside of it.
when I finished with the oilpan I turned my atention to the block you also have to trust my word because I dont have any dirty pics but this is the aftermath
And another temporal jump, I have left the crank/rod/pistons on the rectifier that promised for monday, after that he promised it for the tuesday, and for wendsday and finaly he delivered on the thursday...
the assambly just arrived
the crust on the pistons...
after a little cleanup
a litle while later, lots of oil and I put the new bearings and mount the crank.
all the pistons after a little elbow grease
me and mine presision tools to put the oilpump seal
I don't have any pictures but a little effort and the engine is back on it engine bay.
The gearbox awaits
but first was the clutch
That same thursday the engine and gearbox went back to the engine bay, atached from the mountings. There was a problem with some shavings geting inside the new rod bearings and where new bearings where already damaged, I didnt want to risk an engine over a set of bearing so I bought a new set and proceed to asambly all the friday
Something like this was the engine
Some pictures are missing beacause I was working alone, this photos are around 3am
Not much after thoose photos the engine sparked to life again
4am, just the exhaust mounted (the neighbours really happy) but the engine was runing great.
Saturday morning I proceed to buy the last part, the distributor o-ring, the original one exploded in 3 parts.
and was the first thing that was changed when I arrived
Checking and keeping an eye on everything
the faithfull partner that helped to bring the Corolla back to life
remember to enjoy it
a photo before hitting the streets
and to the streets we go!
I have covered like 1100kmts since then and no trouble at all, I did like 200kmts with and nobrand oil/fram filter, and then switch to the final oil (Motul 4100 15W50)/toyota oil filter, I also bleed the brakes and change the water to Toyota one
Thats all for now, till next time.